Metcon is a commercial general contractor that specializes in construction management, negotiated, design-build and select hard-bid projects. The Estimator is a critical position within Metcon. Estimators are responsible for evaluating bid specifications and drawings, ensuring that we know everything required to successfully bid and win the project. Estimators must aggressively follow-up with subcontractors to ensure that bids are received. Estimators also work with the Project Management teams to follow-up on proposals and clients until the contract is awarded.
(For Full Time Employees)
- Prepares and maintains status of plan reproduction
- Solicits and maintains communication with subcontractors and vendors
- Prepares subcontractor bid packages
- Transmits addenda and other bid information to subcontractors
- Ensures that we have the proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day
- Contacts supply houses to obtain additional subcontractor bids
- Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors
- Submits 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline – no exceptions
- Enters all relevant information into isqft.
- Review bid requirements thoroughly and asks follow-up question on every bid
- Has a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned
- Develops RFI’s and clarifications and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage and shows interest
- Performs a comprehensive “bid day” analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades
- Understands how to fit subs to the size/scope of project
- Creates bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have the right subs for the project
- Minimize exclusions by “doing our homework”
- • Include value-engineering ideas on every bid
- Consistently follows up on submitted bids and budgets with Architect and/or
- Construction Manager until contract award
- Maintains relationships with architects, construction managers, property managers, brokers and can locate and find projects for the company.
- Properly turns over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner. Goal is 100% of awarded projects turned over within 24 hours of notification.
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern
- Review job cost with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded
- Seeks & qualifies new subcontractors
Disclaimer: The Job Description above is a boilerplate, working document and may be modified to suit each particular project assignment. All roles and responsibilities for each respective position can be finalized during the hire-on process.