Metcon is a commercial general contractor that specializes in construction management, negotiated, design-build and select hard-bid projects. The Preconstruction Manager is a critical position within Metcon. Preconstruction Staff are responsible for generating conceptual budgets, evaluating, and pricing Schematic, Drawing, Design Development drawings, Construction Drawings, ensuring that we included everything required to successfully price, bid and the project. Preconstruction Staff must prequalify subcontractors, aggressively coordinate with subcontractors to ensure the subcontractors have all required information and that bids are received. This position also works with the Project Management teams to turn-over projects to the production / delivery process, follow-up on proposals and clients until the contract is awarded.
The following are a partial listing of the most important project tasks by project phase managed by the preconstruction manager.
Budgets & Pricing
- Strong experience in preparing conceptual budgets for clients as needed.
- Manage and prepare SD, DD & CD pricing for a Guaranteed Maximum Price to be included in the Contract.
- Develops a strong, trusting and respectful relationship with clients, A&E firms and Subcontractors during the all phases of preconstruction.
- Solicits and maintains communication with subcontractors and vendors
- Prepares subcontractor bid packages
- Transmits addenda and other bid information to subcontractors
- Ensures that we have the proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day
- Contacts supply houses to obtain additional subcontractor bids
- Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors
- Enters all relevant information into i/SqFt.
- Review bid requirements thoroughly and asks follow-up question on every bid
- Preferred experience in Parking Garages, Multi-Family, Healthcare, K-12 & University projects.
- Has a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned
- Develops RFI’s and clarifications and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage and shows interest
- Performs a comprehensive “bid day” analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades
- Understands how to fit subs to the size/scope of project
- Creates bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have the right subs for the project
- Minimize exclusions by “doing our homework”
- Include value-engineering ideas on every bid
Follow up & closing
- Consistently follows up on submitted bids and budgets with Architect and/or
- Construction Manager until contract award
- Maintains relationships with architects, construction managers, property managers, brokers and can locate and find projects for the company.
- Properly turns over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner.
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern
- Review job cost with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded
- Seeks & prequalify subcontractors
Disclaimer: The Job Description above is a boilerplate, working document and may be modified to suit each particular project assignment. All roles and responsibilities for each respective position can be finalized during the hire-on process.